Now You Can Make 2D Platformer Games with Unity (No Coding)
Note: This class was recorded with Unity 4. It will work for the most part with Unity 5 but certain features may not be exactly the same.
(If the video above doesn’t load, try this: Video Preview)
Check out Pocket Fireball! :-)
Make a 2D Platformer Game with Unity (No Coding)
Now that Unity supports 2D games, we couldn’t wait to make a game in one of our favorite genres – a 2D platformer! In this class, which is the perfect follow up from class 1, we’ll go over the basics of Unity 2D, sprites and animations, 2D physics, and all the controls you need to get a 2D platformer going. And all of this without writing a line of code, thanks to the power of PlayMaker!
The class at a glance
- Bite-sized, Easy to Follow Video Lessons
- Self-Paced Online Class with Fellow Student and Teacher Support
- Our 14-Day Money Back Guarantee
Here’s what you’ll learn in 4 weeks:
- Week 1: Introduction to 2D space in Unity
- Week 2: Introduction to our 2D platformed game and setting up player character
- Week 3: Dealing with Camera – the easy setup vs the complex setup
- Week 4: Setting up Enemies, HP, and Attack before we wrap up!
Who is This Class for?
This class is for beginners with basic understanding of Unity and PlayMaker. If you’ve never used Unity or PlayMaker, you can start with this class first. This course is kid-friendly! :)
What You Will Need
- 7-10 hours a week for 4 weeks as we dive into the process of 2D game development. (If you don’t have that much free time, you can do fewer hours per week, and complete the course over 8-10 weeks.)
- A modern PC / Mac with 3D graphic compatibility (if you bought your computer in the past 5 years, you should be good to go.)
- Download and install the Unity3D game engine http://www.unity3d.com/. Don’t worry about the seemingly complicated interface, we will go over it in the class – piece of cake!
- Students will be provided a special student version of the popular Unity 3D Tool – PlayMaker! This is the tool that enables us to create games without writing code. Thanks to Hutong Games, this special student version will include ALL actions in the tool (note: student version not for commercial use).
- Commercial version of PlayMaker – we strongly recommend buying a license for PlayMaker. Although you can use the student version of PlayMaker for the class, the class is really designed with a commercial version and it allows the use of additional free add-ons and tools to make your game development life easier. It is one of our favorite #gamedev tools ever!
What You Will Create
Together with the class, we will create a few scenes with 2D characters and animations, and create a 2D platformer game. (A platformer game is like Super Mario Bros. on the NES) where the character will walk left and right and jump on screen, with the ability to attack enemies with fireballs.
What Students are Saying About Brandon’s Classes
“Exactly what I needed to begin my journey into game development. I will DEFINITELY take ANY other classes taught by Brandon Wu! Thank you Brandon!!”
– Nicholas Mitchell
“Time and money well spent. I have no coding experience at all but thanks to this class I feel much more confident about game dev process. Thanks for this amazing class!”
– Sung Kim (Animator)
“Brandon Wu’s class was simply the most richest online educational experience I’ve ever had! So much content, so much detail, and so so much fun! I would recommend this class to anyone who has even the slightest of interest in how games are made. I’ve paid 50 times more for an online class, and this has been the best!”
– Brian Anderson
“Great class!! Enjoyed making the projects. The amount of information covered in 4 weeks, was just right. Instructor was knowledgeable and supportive.”
– Greg D.
What to Expect When You Purchase the Class
- You’ll be sent an email with more instructions about the fun 4 weeks ahead. You’ll be granted access to the course, video, and resources on the site at this point through a password sent to your email.
- You can start watching the videos right away! Interact with other students on the forum, or contact me (Brandon) if you have any questions or need more help as you work through the course.
- You can start your projects as soon as you’re ready. At the end of the four weeks, you’ll have made your very own video game!
- Teachers will answer your questions on the forums. We often learn as much from these questions as you do!
Ready? Buy Now
(if the button doesn’t work on your browser, copy and paste this link below to your browser and go to this page to complete your purchase: https://gum.co/Unity2DGame)
We offer a no-questions-asked 14 day money-back guarantee.